This field report comes from an F1Y who had abandoned the idea of consulting after failure in the case interview process but then decided to pursue it as a career option a second time and succeeded.
Hope you are well.
First let me start by saying thank you for dedicating your time to assisting people around the world to understand the case interview process and to also get an opportunity to simulate the real experience through LOMS and your podcasts.
Two years later, with rejections from McK, Monitor, Bain, Deloitte, I’m proud to share with you that McK has made me an offer!!!!
I am still dazed and exhausted from the whole experience as I’m currently working full time and I had to put in all that effort over and above my work commitments. I’m glad and grateful that it has all paid off!
I’ve really valued the emails that you shared from F1Y who succeeded with your assistance and I wanted to share my story:
- I completed my MBA 2 yrs ago and started applying for consulting roles among other things,
- I barely made it beyond the PST with McK, and got to the final rounds of Bain, Monitor and Deloitte but was rejected in the end
- I tried to convince myself that maybe consulting was not for me and I applied for industry jobs, which I got
- A year into my industry role, I couldn’t let go of consulting as a career option as I felt it was a better fit with my strengths and interests.
- Solo case practises (too many I’ve lost count)
- Case coaching with a McKinsey associate (5 sessions)
- Skype practice sessions with a variety of partners (lost count)
- Face to face sessions with practise partner (5-6 sessions)
- Duration: 3 months (I’m working full time,so mostly evenings and weekends)
There is no substitute for hard work. It really pays off.
All I wanted you to know is that your advice works and is on point!!! Every word of it..
In the week prior to the interview, I was “cased-out” and did not have the energy to do cases. All I did was listen to LOMS and your case prep videos to remind myself of the fundamentals. Needless to say, that approach yielded dividends!!!
Victor Cheng, thank you and please continue inspiring other aspiring consultants out there. May God bless your work and enable to continue blessing others out there.
Please add me to the email list of new consultants. I do not want to lose the momentum and would like to know what to start reading/practising/doing prior to my first day at McK.
Do let me know if you are ever in [reader’s country] as I would be really honoured to host you.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, and congratulations on the McKinsey offer!! Your hard work really did pay off.
You can join my email newsletter for new consultants at:
How to Succeed as a New Management Consultant – Sign Up for Free Tips and Strategies on How to be Successful in Management Consulting.
We’ll never spam you or share your email. Unsubscribe at any time.